Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

My Wet N Wild Matte Lipstick Collection & How I Make Them Work

My Lovely Collection of Wet N Wild Matte Lipsticks

Now if you've spent 10 minutes in the online beauty blogger community, chances are you've stumbled across some sort of review for these lip colors...and they are usually to one extreme or the other...people either love them or hate them.

Now I'm the first one to admit, they are not the easiest formula to pull off and they are certainly not a "grab and go" lip choice for me but I've figured out how to make them a little easier and more comfortable to pull off. After all, for $2 each, there is no cheaper or easier way to test out a new color on yourself than with these lipsticks. I'm just starting to test the waters with bold, bright  lip colors like these, so if it turns out I'm just more comfortable with nude lips...I'm only out a couple of bucks.

*Though this post is geared specifically towards the Wet N Wild Matte Lipsticks, these are typically my rules for pulling off any bold lip look*

What I've Learned...

1. Apply a lip balm first.
I prefer a waxy formula (like EOS lip balms) over a smoother, slicker formula (like Soft Lips) because the waxier formula grips the lip color and helps it cling to the lips, versus a smoother formula that will cause the lip color to slip around and actually make bleeding and feathering worse.

2. Apply the thinnest layer of lip balm possible.
 I will generally start my makeup application process by applying a moisturizer and a lip balm. This will give my balm a chance to sink in to my lips while I'm applying the rest of my makeup. When I'm ready for my lipstick, I will use a paper towel to wipe the excess balm from my lips and apply my lip color. Too much balm with only make your lipstick smear easier.

3. Apply the thinnest layer of lipstick possible using a lip brush.
 I prefer to start with a thin layer of lip product and then build up to my desired color. I use a lip brush to help me achieve this...applying straight from the tube puts way too much product on the lips, making the lipstick much harder to control. These lipsticks are very pigmented and opaque so it doesn't take much to do the trick...because the less product you apply, the less drying it will be on your lips through out the day.

4. BLOT!
This goes back to Rule #3, the less product you apply, the less drying and "smearable" your lip look will be.

5. Keep a light gloss handy.
 I prefer to keep a clear gloss with me through out the day to help refresh my lip look. This will keep my lips from feeling overly dry and also keep my lipstick from wearing off in an uneven way. Again, apply the thinnest layer possible.

6. Use lip liner at your discretion.
 I usually don't...because I suck at lining my lips. I also feel these lipsticks have enough grip to stay in place without needing the extra protection of a lip liner...but if it makes you feel more comfortable to line your lips..by all means, go nuts.
*If I were working with a "slicker" or smoother formula of lipstick, I would bite the bullet and line my lips to prevent feathering. This will also achieve that crisp, precise edge that makes a bold lip look polished and put together and less "street walker chic."

Lip Swatches...


901B Think Pink
 

903C Just Peachy
 
907C Mauve Outta Here
very purple-y mauve, this one is tough for me to pull off, probably my least favorite
 
905D Smokin Hot Pink
beautiful shade...bright lip color without being over powering on my fair skin
 
966 Don't Blink Pink
definitely the boldest lip color of the bunch
warning...not for the faint of heart!
 
965 Cherry Picking
My Favorite Bright of the Bunch!
 
910D Red Velvet

911D Spotlight Red
Very similar to Red Velvet
I reapplied my lip balm before this swatch so it appears glossier than the previous lip color

906D Wine Room
My Favorite "Neutral" of the Bunch!
 
 
Am I missing a shade I must own? Let me know in the comments below!
 
These lipsticks are a fun way to try out a bold lip color and if it turns out you're not really feelin' the look, you're only out 2 bucks. These Wet N Wild Matte Lipsticks are so cheap and accessible, to me...they're worth the little extra effort!
 
Thanks for taking time out of your day to have a look at my blog...feel free to comment below and talk makeup with me!

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow all those colours are gorgeous!! I've always steered clear of matte lipsticks, I hate that dry feeling they give my lips!! May have to try some of these with a balm first like you said :-)

    www.chrissylilly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I agree, matte lip colors can be so drying but it really makes a difference with a thick, waxy balm under them...hope you get a chance to try them!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful collection! I'm so tempted to try these now. You've photographed them so nicely! Smokin Hot Pink and Red Velvet are especially up my alley. *Adds to my already giant wishlist* ;)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Smokin Hot Pink and Cherry Picking are my favorites!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I have to say I just went through your ENTIRE blog... and I'm in love :D You not only make great reviews (to the point and very organized), but you also make me giggle like a school girl (for example, when you talked about Milani's black eyeshadow putting Mac's Carbon Black to shame... SHAME!). Plus, it made me oh so happy that you also watch EmilyNoel83. I felt like I found a soul mate. You have a new follower, chicky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's just about the most flattering comment I've ever received and I sincerely thank you. I've been going through some personal issues the past several months and my blog has definitely taken a back seat but its sweet comments like this that make me feel like I'm ready to jump back into it again...I've got a lot of cool posts lined up and I'm excited to share them with you. Thank you again for the comment and the follow, you REALLY made my day!
      Sara
      And FYI: EmilyNoel83 is a god! If she sneezes on a piece of makeup, I must immediately run out and buy it!!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I will follow your advice for applying these lipsticks...Glam on!

    ReplyDelete